Applying for a Place - Boys
Applying for a Place - Boys
Confirmed Places for Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, Year 3, Year 5 and Year 7 entry are offered by Date of Application immediately applications are received.
Barker offers confirmed places to students applying to enter Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, Year 3, Year 5 and Year 7 in strict order of date of application. To hold the place once offered, a Confirmation Fee is payable within 14 days of the offer being made. The non-refundable Confirmation Fee, which is currently $2100, represents the first moeity (50%) of the Barker College Admission Fee, the balance of which is then payable prior to the student's entry to the School.
Please be advised that all confirmed places for boys for Year 7 2018 - 2024 inclusive, have now been filled and applications can only be accepted for a Wait List position for these years.
A student commencing at Barker is expected to be turning the appropriate age for that school grade by 31 March of that year - e.g. a student entering Kindergarten, is expected to be turning 5 by 31 March in the year in which they enter Kindergarten. See Year of Entry Guide. However, if your child has already commenced school we will enrol them in the corresponding year group. All students holding confirmed places in Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten will have a pre-entry 'school readiness' interview with the Director of Early Learning during Term 2 of the year prior to entry. Following that interview, the balance of the Admission Fee (currently $2100) will be due to be paid.
All students holding confirmed places in Year 3 and Year 5 will have a pre-entry interview with the Head of Junior School approximately twelve to eighteen months prior to their entry to the School. Following that interview, the balance of the Admission Fee (currently $2100) will be due to be paid.
All students holding confirmed places in Year 7 will have a pre-entry interview with the Head of Middle School approximately eighteen months prior to entry. Following that interview, the balance of the Admission Fee (currently $2100) will be due to be paid.
Barker is not registered to accept international fee payment students.
Pre-Entry Interviews for Students entering Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, Year 3, Year 5 and Year 7
In a manner which is appropriate to the student's age, the pre-entry interview covers the following:
- the student's academic performance and development to date, and the student's apparent readiness and preparedness to take part in the Barker academic program, together with our assessment of the suitability of the academic program to the student's needs
- our assessment of the student's personal characteristics and, for entry to Years 3, 5 and 7, their approach to academic work as set out in school reports
- our assessment of the capacity of the School to nurture and support the further development and interests of the student
- our assessment of the student's and their family's willingness to support the School's code of student conduct and its Christian faith and practice
- our assessment of the student's willingness to participate fully in and contribute to the life of the School, including participation in Saturday sport until Year 12
- our overall impression of the student's capacity to benefit from the opportunity of sharing in a Barker education
In addition, students (with their parents' assistance where appropriate) will be asked to fill out an information questionnaire about their interests and activities both in and out of school, and other information. Where appropriate, copies of the student's latest two school reports, and most recent NAPLAN results, and any other supporting documents demonstrating the student's attainments in both academic and co-curricular activities are also required to be submitted to the School two weeks prior to the pre-entry or school readiness interview. This information provides a complete all-round view of the student's attainments and interests.
Because Year 10 is not an entry point for boys, applicants will be selected for interview based on the information provided in the questionnaire, their school reports and academic assessment should a place become available.
Barker is a busy school, with as much activity outside the classroom as learning inside the classroom. Students therefore need to have very sound academic achievements, as well as interests in sport and other co-curricular activities.